Monday, 13 January 2014

Coursework decisions

The coursework brief I have selected is Brief 3, NuTunes Records. I have chosen this brief over the others, as I feel that is most suited to me; in the future, I hope to work within the music industry, and I believe that the experience I get from completing this brief will allow me to gain a wider knowledge and understanding of the industry. I also feel as though I will enjoy this brief the most, and I will therefore be more committed to completing each task/activity.

The platforms I have chosen are print and e-media. I feel as though these platforms will be best for me as I have more experience in this type of thing, i.e. designing magazine covers and making websites etc, as oppose to the film platform where I have hardly any experience in film making. I feel more confident with working on the print and e-media platforms, as I will be able to show the different skills I have in regards to these two, and hopefully I'll be able to produce two pieces of work that are of a good standard.

I will be creating three pages worth of promotional materials for the print task, to promote the release of a bands debut album, as well their upcoming tour of the UK. The genre I have selected for this band is punk/metal, and the reason why I feel this would be best is because in my opinion, there is a gap in the current music industry for this genre of music. This means that there is room for new bands or artists within this genre to promote their music, without fear of there being much competition from other current punk/metal artists in the market. The reason why I have chosen to go with a genre that isn't completely pop-based, for example, is because I think there are many pop bands/artists already on the market in the music industry who fit into the pop genre, and if I decided to add another pop group/artist into it the mix, then there would be a lot of competition for them, and I would probably struggle to make the band/artist stand out, or make them seem unique to the audience. The target audence for this is 16-24 year old male and females, and I have chosen this specific group of people because I believe that they are within the age group of people who are more likely to buy music singles, and albums, and they're more likely to want to attend concerts, and therefore it would be easier to create promotional materials for this particular purpose. For example, if I decided to make a magazine cover to promote a new pop/punk boy band, I would know to use specific language that would appeal to this age group, as well as choosing the right colours, and setting/layout also. At the moment, I am considering creating the front page of a magazine which features the band I will be promoting, and inside of this magazine there will be a full-page advert which promotes the forthcoming tour of the UK, as well as producing a third page of a planned interview with the band. These are only initial ideas though, and I'm sure I will change my mind frequently throughout the task about what I want to include in my work.

For the E-Media task, I will be making three parts of a website that is aimed at the same target audience for the print task I will be doing, (16-24 year olds). The three sections of the website that I will be creating are the home page, the 'information about the band' page, and the 'news' page, which gives information to the viewers about the latest news regarding the band, album, and the tour. I will be making the house style and design of the website in a similar style of the things created in the print task, so everything is clear, and fits in as it should. The web pages I make on the website will all be of a similar style also, and I will be using DreamWeaver to create the basis of the website. Already, I'm considering a simple colour scheme, perhaps black and white, so it creates a professional look, and I will include links in a separate colour which is bold (perhaps blue or red), which is something that I learned from the research task through discovering and analysing production company websites. I will have included my logo from the research task on the home page, at the top, where I have noticed that most of the top-end production companies and individual bands/artists websites put there logos, as it clear for the audience to identify the band being advertised/promoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment